Limes Luxemburgensis (LL) is the Bambësch forest section in the 1772 Demarcation of the City of Luxembourg; the LL-Map correspond to this section. 94 stone markers numbered 1 to 94 were put in place. Each marker has the following inscription: a unique consecutive number, the letters LL and the year 1772. As of today, 65 markers have been located and photographed.
Most markers are placed along paths and they are easily visible; for example, along the Maarkewee (markers path), though they could be shrouded by vegetation and visibility can change rapidly due to forestry works. Markers 58, 59, and 60 are near roads can be seen with Google Street View. Most markers further away from paths are accessible walking on the forest, though in some sections thick vegetation makes walking very difficult.
Markers are placed on average every 84 meters, though it varies from 41 meters to 220 meters. The total LL length between markers 1 to 94 following all the markers is 9,099 meters, equal to 4,668 toises (1 toise = 6 feet = 1.949 meters), the distance unit used in the 1772 LL-Map. Markers are about 2 feet (~65cm) height, 1 foot (~32cm) per side and 3 feet (~97cm) in the ground.
Markers 59, 60 and 88 have the additional inscription CC 1997 that seems to suggest that they were placed in 1997. Inscriptions are on the face of the marker towards the Bambësch; marker 33 faces the wrong direction; markers 19 and 20 show the back (the inscription is on the other side) looking from the path, as the path is outside the boundary. Probably some markers have been replaced at different times, as the stone weathering differs; markers 34, 35, 37, 53, 54, 59, 60, and 88 look recent.
Further demarcations took place in 1792, 1818, 1868 and 1874. Additional markers were put in place in: 1868, 32 markers; 1874, between markers 2 and 11 as some markers had been removed. Already the cadaster map circa 1822 does not contains markers 9-11, 58-60 and 14; 88-94 is not clear.
Markers 40 and 60 correspond to the beginning and end of the border with Her Majesty forest. Marker 70 corresponds to a LL 90º turn. It might be a coincidence, but these three special markers a have round number ending in 0.
The LL-Map contains four Ville de Luxembourg markers ( VL markers): VL-43, VL-44, VL-45 and VL-46. VL-45 is near LL-1; VL-46 is near LL-94. The distance between the VL-45 and VL-46 is 1,084 meters (556 toises). The total distance adding the LL proper and the Rollingergrund section is about 10,183 meters.
The name Limes Luxemburgensis and the meaning of the LL on the markers is open to discussion. It was taken from an unknown publication on history for the period 1751-1800 that contains the following:1772 25. Oktober. - Der Chef-Ingenieur der Festung Luxemburg, Nicolas de Jamez, beendete das Aufstellen der Grenzsteine zur Festlegung der Grenzen des ‚Bambësch’. Die Grenzsteine waren mit den Buchstaben - LL - für ‚Limes Luxemburgensis’ beschriftet. Einige dieser Grenzsteine sind noch heute nahe Bridel zu sehen. 1772 October 25th. - The chief engineer of the Luxembourg Fortress, Nicolas de Jamez, ended the boundary stones to determine the borders of the 'Bambësch'. The border stones were labeled with the letters - LL - for 'Limes Luxemburgensis'. Some of these boundary stones can still be seen near Bridel today. But on the back of the LL-Map is written Luxembourg Limites: