Forest surveyors and figurative maps of Luxembourg forests of the 17 °, 18 ° and 19 ° centuries

Google Translate with post editing

Paul Modert, general guard of waters and forests, 1937

Pages 38-41

A "particular map of the limits and separation and the Baumbusch" ("banbois"), 620 ha., belonging to the city of Luxembourg was drawn up in September and October 1772 by the Austrian engineers.

Markers in a number of 94 were planted to fix the limit of the Baumbusch and the jurisdictions (= ban) contiguous: Municipality of Strassen (marker number 1 to 40 incl), forest of Her Majesty (Rodenbusch) (marker number 40 to 60 incl.) forest of Berelding (marker number 60 to 66), forest of l'Avocat Eyden (marker number 66 to 70), incl), forest and juridiction d’Eich (marker number 70 to 94). The limit of the Baumbusch along the territory of the city of Luxembourg was not provided with markers. The markers (dimensions: 65 cm in height out of the ground, 32/32 cm sides, 110 cm in the ground {2 feet x 1 foot x 3 feet}) bearing the inscription of the year 1772 and of which 73 {today 65}, with the numbers 15 to 89 except 17 and 70 {sic, 70 found}, are still there today, were planted and recognized in the presence of representatives of the courts and owners residents, who marked or also signed the four minutes and the map made in double. Appear, among other things, on the map the marks (= cross) of Mathieu Hetto, Centenier de Strassen, Christophe Leerd (?), Centenier de Belelding, Crantz, alderman of Eich. Signed from the Bernebruck garden, J. B. Seyl, Haut-Forestier, Koeler, J. B. Eyden, Gerardy and Dumont, aldermen of the city of Luxembourg, Public Works, Jamez, Major and Engineer. The different jurisdictions are designated on the map by different colors: blue, yellow, green, brunette, black and red. The distance from marker to marker is written on the line of the map limit, which is drawn on a scale of 490 imperial toises (1 toises = 1.949 meters = French toise), in meters 1:3544.

The map does not contain indications on nature, exploitation, development of the Baumbusch. The "Schwarzengrund, Schwarzenbour, La Croix des Bourgeois {Biergerkräiz | picture | Street View | marker LL 58}, La Croix Louis" {missing} are noted on the map. As successful are informed among others on the side of Rollingergrund and Muhlenbach the faréencerie, the taillarderie, the Pescatore paper factory, the sources, called today "Siwebouren". The current Rollingergrund road to La Croix des Bourgeois and Kopstal is called "Chemin de Marienthal".

In 1792 the surveyor Heuschling also draw up a Baumbusch map. We haven't found any traces yet, perhaps it was a forestry map {the circa 1822 cadaster map (C1822) was drawn by Heuschling as his name appears twice, but it is no dated (perhaps in the back?); the metadata indicates the years 1811 to 1832. The 1792 map and the C1822 could be the same, or at least the 1792 map was used to draw the C1822. The Heuschling of 1792 and the C1822 might be different people}.

With the help of these two maps {1772 and 1792} took place on 24 July 1818 {was the C1822 already produced?} a verification of the limits of the Baumbusch by the surveyer Servais in the presence of the Inspector of Water and Forests Loutz. This revision had become necessary, because the former magistrate of the City of Luxembourg had ceded or sold land on the old maps to Mr. Boch {? or his son?} and others and also to put the forest administration capable of fixing the wood development and adjust the capacity of the cuts. In 1820 the Baumbusch was exploited at a 25 -year revolution. As a fees Servais received for the "perimeter plan with markers and ditches" which he remitted on 7 January 1822, {another map different from the C1822 ?} the sum agreed in advance of 142 guilders.

Demarcations also took place in 1868, where 32 markers were planted {which ones? same design? related to the single L markers} and in 1874 between markers 2 to 11 (in the Reckenthal) where markers had been removed {already the C1822 does not contains markers 9-11, 58-60 and 14; 88-94 is not clear}.


French original

Arpenteurs forestiers et cartes figuratives des bois luxembourgeois des 17°, 18° et 19° siècles
par Paul Modert, garde général des Eaux et Forêts, 1937

Pages 38-41

Une «carte particulière des limites et séparation et du Baumbusch» («banbois»), 620 ha., appartenant à la Ville de Luxembourg fut dressée en septembre et octobre 1772 par le génie autrichien.

Des bornes au nombre de 94 furent plantées pour fixer la limite du Baumbusch et des juridictions (= ban) contigues: commune de Strassen (borne No 1 à 40 incl), bois de Sa Majesté (Rodenbusch) (borne No 40 à 60 incl.) bois de Berelding (borne N° 60 à 66), bois de l'avocat Eyden (borne N° 66 à 70 incl), bois et juridiction d’Eich (borne No 70 à 94). La limite du Baumbusch le long du territoire de la Ville de Luxembourg ne fut pas pourvue de bornes. Les bornes (Dimensions: 65 cm de hauteur hors du sol, 32/32 cm de grosseur, 110 cm dans le sol) portant l'inscription de l’année 1772 et dont 73, avec les numéros 15 à 89 exceptées 17 et 70, s'y trouvent encore aujourd’hui, furent plantées et reconnues en présence des représentants des juridictions et propriétaires riverains, qui marquèrent ou signèrent de plus les quatre procès-verbaux et la carte faite en double. Figurent entre autres sur la carte les marques (= croix) de mathieu hetto, centenier de Strassen, christophe leerd (?), centenier de Belelding, crantz, échevin d'Eich. Signèrent du Jardin de Bernebruck, J. B. Seyl, haut-forestier, Koeler, J. B. Eyden, Gerardy et Dumont, échevins de la ville de Luxembourg, de Traux, Jamez, Major et Ingénieur. Les différentes juridictions sont désignées sur la carte par différentes couleurs: bleue, jaune, verte, brune, noire et rouge. La distance de borne à borne est inscrite sur la ligne de la limite de la carte, qui est dessinée à l'échelle de 490 toises impériales (1 toise = 1m 949 = toise française), en mètres 1:3544.

La carte ne contient pas d’indications sur la nature, l'exploitation, l'aménagement du Baumbusch. Le «Schwarzengrund, Schwarzenbour, la Croix des Bourgeois, la Croix Louis» sont relevés sur la carte. Comme aboutissants sont renseignés entre autres du côté de Rollingergrund et Muhlenbach la faïencerie, la taillanderie, la papeterie Pescatore, les sources, appelées de nos jours «Siwebouren». La route actuel de Rollingergrund à la Croix des Bourgeois et à Kopstal porte le nom de «Chemin de Marienthal».

En 1792 l’arpenteur Heuschling dressa également une carte du Baumbusch. Nous n'en n’avons pas encore trouvé de traces, peut-être était elle une carte forestière.

A l'aide de ces deux la carte eut lieu le 24 juillet 1818 une verification des limites du Baumbusch par l'arpenteur Servais en présence de l'inspecteur des eaux et des forêts Loutz. Cette révision était devenue nécessaire, parce que l'ancien Magistrat de la Ville de Luxembourg avait cédé ou vendu des terrains faisant partie des anciennes cartes à M. Boch et autres et aussi pour mettre l‘administration forestière à même de fixer avec exactitude l'aménagement du bois et régler la contenance des coupes. En 1820 le Baumbusch était exploité a révolution de 25 ans. Comme honoraires Servais reçut pour le «plan de périmètre avec bornes et fossés» qu'il remit le 7 janvier 1822, la somme convenue d'avance de 142 florins.

Des abornements eurent encore lieu en 1868, où 32 bornes furent plantées et en 1874 entre les bornes 2 à 11 (au Reckenthal) où des bornes avaient été enlevées.